GameMaker “Studio” to allow iOS, Android, PSP and HTML5 exporting

on April 22, 2011 - 9690 Views

YoYo Games’ Stuart Poole has announced that a future version of GameMaker will allow creations to be exported to PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PSP Mini and HTML5 formats.

The upcoming version, currently dubbed “GameMaker Studio”, will contain options enabling a single game to simultaneously be exported to files which are runnable across a range of devices.

The current export function can be seen at the end of the below video which shows GameMaker 8.1 in action.

YoYo Games have always maintained that the ability to export games in HTML5, if ever completed, would be released as a product rather than being restricted to users of their publishing services.  No comments had been made publicly regarding the release of a self-publishing or white label solution for iPhone, iPad and Android however.

No information on pricing has yet been given and a release is “months^” rather than weeks away according to Russell Kay.

48 Responses to GameMaker “Studio” to allow iOS, Android, PSP and HTML5 exporting

1. most likely it will cost between 125$-369$ luckly i”m not one of thous people who need their games on every platform. but if there is a disscount to standard version users then i might consider buying if it will have other stuff too and not only multi platform

2. Elmernite says:

Nice! That is pretty sweet! I really need to keep an eye on this.
    -Elmernite

3. ugriffin says:

Very, very exciting news here! Go YoYo Games!

However, I’d hope they didn’t enable Mac publishing from PC audiences… the amount of crap content we would be getting without any testing would rise awfully.

• If you ever want Mac to become a more mainstream platform, you HAVE to make it easier for more software to come to it – crap or not.

• Jake says:

So your saying that just because someone is publishing on a Mac magically makes it better because of all the “testing” you have todo? Have you seen how many crappy Apps there are? Have you seen how many pointless Apps there are? Just because it’s developed on a Mac, for a Mac, does it automatically make it better.

4. Clavus says:

This is actually pretty exiting news. I’m trying to get into mobile development but creating a decent game engine and back-end is such a pain in the ass on those platforms; I just want to make a game! Hopefully GameMaker Studio can speed up the development process there.

5. Mcoot says:

Whether or not I’ll buy this depends on whether the Game Maker Studio release includes more than ‘just’ exporting options. If it has some other extra stuff that would be useful, sure thing. Otherwise… it depends on how much I want access to cross-platform. To me the most useful one would be HTML5.

6. True Valhalla says:

The first 2 comments on the glog post are promising:

“Are these export tools entirely available to the developer, or do they have to use you as a middle man?”

Stuart Poole Says:

“When Game Maker Studio is released (TBC), it will allow developers to make and release their games independently from YoYo Games.”

That to me suggests that we might (some day) be able to publish on iOS without YoYo as publisher…to me, that’s the only reason I’d see anyone forking out more for GM.

Anyway, exciting times!

7. Sweet Jesus. My prayers have been answered. This has to be one of the most killer things to ever happen to Game Maker. Where are all the YYG haters now?!

8. Alex Aris says:

This sounds good to me ! :) I guestimate the price being no more than $250 for GameMaker Studio. I am pretty keen at getting a game or two out there on different App Stores and Platforms. This has proven to be a most interesting year so far ! :)

9. Rex says:

I hope Game Maker Studio isn’t too pricey, as one has to factor in the cost of a separate developer account for each target platform, as well as buying the appropriate devices to test on, and that can add up to quite a bit of money.

Not that this is necessarily bad, but I worry that people who are mentioning how much money they’re willing to spend on GM Studio might not be taking these extra expenses into account. Making an iPad game alone is at least another $600 (500 for the iPad and 100 for an apple developer account). I don’t even want to know what you have to pay Sony to get a game on the PSP.

I guess one could try submitting a game without testing it on a device, but that’s only a good idea if your goal is to become known for making particularly buggy and glitchy games.

To “epicCreations.org”, and all others who are excited to the point of saying silly things, I would offer that there is still no release date, no announced price, and- given all the problems with the recent 8.1 update- no way of knowing if GM Studio will even be stable enough to use.

Personally though, I hope its rock solid, reasonably priced and coming very soon. That day would be a good day.

10. I remember the days where having a GM game on another platform was unheard of. /Hipster.

11. SunnyKatt says:

This is a change of events, the community seems to support them in a decision for once. I for one agree with what they’re doing, but I still can’t trust YYG for the future development enough to risk putting my next game out in it. :(

12. NakedPaulToast says:

SunnyKatt :… but I still can’t trust YYG for the future development enough to risk putting my next game out in it.

Based on what?

• SunnyKatt says:

The way they’ve headed the company has always seemed uncertain to me, back before GM 8.0 it seemed they would never improve Game Maker, and after 8.0 we see the problems of the runner still persist. They promise to change it, but it bothers me that I’m not able to fix the core problems with the engine running my games. Until this post they’ve seemed to selfish and prioritized their profit over the success of their users by forcing publishing through them and taking a large cut… I just don’t really trust them anymore. I think it’s more beneficial to me to move to a game engine like PyGame where I won’t be held back by as many limitations outside of my control.

• Manyquestions says:

Mayhap because if they can’t stay in business then they can’t keep working on any of those improvements? I’m not defending GM over PyGame or anything like that, it just seems a bit off to say “prioritized their profit over the success of their users” as a criticism. Obviously if their users are that fed up with it and leave like you’re suggesting, then there’s less profit for Yoyo, and if Yoyo doesn’t profit, they can’t keep working on improvement to the benefit of their users.

My interpretation of everything is that they had to stabilize the business after taking over GM. Since it was never a business when it was just Mark, it never really had to be self-sustaining. Now that those issues are being sorted out it seems like they have more room to start innovating. Perhaps a bit optimistic, but not overly, I don’t think. If nothing’s gotten better in the next year or so I guess we’ll find out.

• SunnyKatt says:

I’m not suggesting people leave; GM is still a great tool. But due to the poor quality of the runner and the reputation it got because of it; it’s much harder for publishers to take you seriously also. That’s why I personally need a fresh start with more control over the engine below the game data.

13. [...] older titles, such as LockOn, in order to take advantage of the future cross platform support that Game Maker Studio will [...]

14. SuperDuper says:

I hope Yoyogames will put extreme protection so people do not pirate.

I dont wana feel ripped off lol

• Kris says:

SuperDuper :I hope Yoyogames will put extreme protection so people do not pirate.
      I dont wana feel ripped off lol

Dude no

Everything WILL is crackable, e.g. remember blu ray, they said it was going to take 10 years to crack it, it took them 3 or so months.

All copy protection does is leave the people who acutally BUY the game with buggy overloaded software because of the drm.

Putting a high level of DRM actually increases piracy, as people would rather get a more streamlined version with all the DRM ripped out, rather than paying for it and getting a worse product

15. Sussuarana says:

Procurei, mas não encontrei, em lugar nenhum, qualquer informação sobre preço para o Game Maker Studio. Também não achei nada sobre quando a versão poderá ser adquirida. Todavia, não posso deixar de manifestar a minha indignação com relação às versões atuais do Game Maker. Tenho as duas versões (MAC e WIN). Comprei as duas e certamente vou comprar a versão do Game Maker Studio. Mas minha indignação se dá ao fato de que WIN, tudo bem, mas MAC, negação. Não há suporte, não há melhoras já há bastante tempo. Basta dizer que ainda estamos na versão 7. E realmente, como acredito que seja preocupação de muitos usuários legais do Game Maker: usuários registrados vão poder ter um desconto BIG BIG BIG para comprar a versão Studio, ou vamos ter que “pagar o pato” e entrar na fila como qualquer mero mortal sem valor?

16. GameMaker "Studio" to allow iOS, Android, PSP and HTML5 exporting – http://t.co/HPOzxyX

17. fatty says:

Benjamint :A so high price..? I thinked it would be nearly 20-30$. Cause the current GM costs that.

it is a professional program so it will cost much more

18. Pieman says:

HTML 5 will cost $200, so im guessing $300-$500

19. adel says:

So!! any news regarding the launch date of the Studio version!!!

20. Angel says:

why won’t you sell them on appstore!!!!

21. the man with all the questoins says:

this video is not in game maker studio its in game maker 8.1 beta this video is a bunch of bogus!!

22. mason2smart says:

where is the psp in the video???

23. Rod says:

GameSalad has already added Android publishing support since Nov 2011, it means now I can make Android and iOS games with it.

I can’t wait till Q1 2012 ,so I think GameMaker will lose the advantage.

24. [...] development from the off, and drawbacks, many of which he notes are being worked on in the future GameMaker Studio [...]

25. g.maker says:

I think Game Maker Studio is much better and more versatile than previous Game Makers so… i think it will cost 199$-299$.

26. rebrock says:

Once it exports an ios file what do you do with the ios file. It’s not an exe style file so how would you make an ios file work?

27. faaf says:

Kris :

I dont wana feel ripped off lol

Dude no

Yeah I’m pirating this shit I ain’t paying 2 fucking hundred dollars for html5

28. doc says:

Nick :Yeah… where is this said PSP exporting?

And just for 50$ you have all platforms. XBOX360-PSP-PC-FLASH-MAC-IOS-PSV-PS4

29. RedM says:

So do you have to pay for Studio, then buy attachments like IOS and Android?