With the development of a runner enabling Game Maker games to run on the PSP a frequently heard question is “why not for Nintendo DS? (or DSi)”. We have covered this issue before – in short the DSi is less powerful but Mike Dailly has now provided some more information on the decision taken by YoYo Games to focus their attention on other platforms.
Dailly also mentioned the iPod Touch and iPhone platform which YoYo would obviously like to target due to its high user-base and successful App Store.
“And a quick note about the new Apple T&Cs… The rule says you have to build a game with C++ or ObjectiveC. The runner IS in C++, and interpretes scripts. This is fine as there at LOTS of apps which use scripting in some form or other, not to mention quite a few emulators (which is ALL scripting). So we don’t anticipate any problems, although Sandy will be speaking with Apple to verify.”- Mike Dailly
I am not sure of the likelihood of this going ahead as I have little experience with the devices or knowledge of Apple’s acceptance criteria but a recent change in rules over the tools allowed to generate code lead to prominent community member NakedPaulToast to author a topic Gm Runner For Iphone, R I P.
Also on Game Maker Blog:
- Which handheld devices will Game Maker games appear on? (Brad, Dec 31st 2009)
- Handheld devices update (Phil, Jan 13th 2009)
- GameMakerBlog in Top Ten of Top Gaming Blogs to Follow in 2018
- GameMaker Studio 2 Winter Sale brings warm savings to developers
- [Giveaway] Deios 2 Steam Key Holiday Giveaway
- GameMakerBlog Levels up with new IndieDevHelp initiative
- [Indie Interview] uZombie made in GameMaker!