Domain Expiration leaves UpUrLoad files unavailable

on May 8, 2010 - 5613 Views

Rather fittingly given my recent comments about the lack of reliability that exists if choosing a Game Maker specific file host, the UpUrLoad.com domain name has expired.  This renders the 1,900 uploaded files unavailable.

I think we will see it back online again shortly though as the service has rapidly been gaining popularity and I have seen active development on the site within the past couple of days.

Update (9th May): The domain has now been renewed and the site is back online.

12 Responses to Domain Expiration leaves UpUrLoad files unavailable

1. Ethan says:

Glad this could get fixed (or at least should be fixed.) I hate visiting sites only to find that generic layout that tells me the domain no longer works.

2. Coolist says:

**NEWS UPDATE** Unfortunately the expired alert was being sent to an inactive email account. I have now renewed (and paid) for the domain and it should be back up in less then 24 hours. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3. Coolist says:

In case anyone is wondering, all files are still available at http://www.upurload.afbl.com/ .

(I will try my best to resolve this issue ASAP)

4. Coolist says:

WTF! I will look into fixing this ASAP! I had no notification of expiry!

5. B&B_Gaming says:

Called it! Post number 3 on the GMC topic, I called it. I feel so special. 😛

Too many free hosts out there; people get overly confident they can handle hosting an upload site. I hate that I’m still finding WHFF links, I know that eventually (if not from now, on) it’ll be the same way with UpUrLoad. Sad, really.

6. Jonathan Martin says:

Haha. This is actually quite funny..

7. RC says:

You’d think they would’ve been smart enough to renew the domain before its expiration date.

8. Broxter says:

Isn’t it ironic?

9. The page it now displays suggests it got swiftly taken over by cybersquatters and will now cost the site’s runner a fair bit of money to get back. It adds to that theory that a quick name.com check brought “upurload.com” up as “Taken”.

However it goes, it’s a blow, and makes me glad that when WHFF died I moved onto Mediafire, a larger-scale well-known reliable host, than another one run by someone in the GM universe.

• I don’t think so. After a domain first expires its owner has the first chance to renew it for a number of days before it becomes generally available to anyone. http://www.dropscout.com/help/domain-name-expiration-process

Take for example betonswineflu.com the domain expired on the 30th of April but the old owners (me) info still appears on the WHOIS database and I can renew it from within my goDaddy account. During this period the registrar rakes in the PPC dollars from people landing on the domain.

10. James Rhodes says:

Wow, seriously. I mean, does no-one use the auto renewal feature these days or what?