GameMaker 8.x Uploads Only at New YoYo Games Website
June 21, 2011
- GameMaker must appeal to more serious developers
- Publishing games will showcase the potential of GameMaker
- Need to shed reputation of being a “kids play site”
- The current YoYo Games website will be kept and fixed – how this will fit in with the new site is not announced.
- YoYo Games’ Instant Play plugin will be made open source since it takes too much time to maintain (and will be replaced by the ability to produce HTML5 games in GameMaker.
- Games created in GameMaker 8 and beyond will be allowed on new website
Reading the post adds confusion over which versions of GameMaker will be able to be used to create and upload games to the new website.
An earlier blog post by YoYo Games suggested that the new YoYo Games website would restrict uploads to games created in “GameMaker 8.1” before Russell Kay replied to the comments and stated that YoYo were “considering allowing GM8 and GM8.1 files”.
However in today’s post YoYo Games’ Community Manager Kirsty Scott blogs about the reaction to a proposal for “making game uploads restricted to Standard 8.1”. I think this is the first anyone has head about such a proposal to limit uploads to upgraded GameMaker users. Kirsty continues stating that GameMaker 8.1 Standard users are paying for the website and adds “while we understand that there is a great many users of GameMaker 7 and Lite, we cannot place priority on supporting these over the latest (full) version users”. Despite these comments after clarification from YoYo Games it seems that “uploads by all users of 8/8.1”, including the free Lite versions, will be able to upload.