YoYo Games CEO Sandy Duncan has reiterated his intention to enable Game Maker games to be played on mobile phones in the future.
Just over a year ago he announced “Our vision is for Game Maker games to be running on non PC platforms such as phones, portable devices and Consoles“.¹ Today in response to a question stc043 posed on Twitter he said that there are plans but not currently a schedule for this feature. This suggests an introduction in Game Maker 8, scheduled to be released by the end of the year, is unlikely.
The popularity of Apple’s iPhone appstore may be an important contributing factor to this decision with the total number of application downloads to date soon to hit 1,000,000,000. Previously Sandy has said² that the release of an SDK for the iPhone provided YoYo Games with “lots of motivation to get on with having the runner ported to C++“.
Also on GameMaker Blog:
- March 2008 interview with Sandy about the future of GM
- iPhone Game Development Platform
- Karoshi in Flash and on the iPhone
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios