The latest update to GameMaker: Studio (version 1.1.622) will no longer export games for use on the iPhone 3G or the 2nd generation iPod Touch. These two devices were previously the oldest iOS devices on which games created with GameMaker: Studio would run. The dropping of support for these devices comes after Apple’s decision to discontinue legacy support for them.
Xcode 4.5 removes support for ARM V6 devices but adds support for ARM V7 devices, including the new iPhone 5. Apple’s iPhone 5 was released alongside iOS 6 which can only be targeted from Xcode 4.5, and therefore it is not possible to build a universal application for both ARM V6 and ARM V7 devices.
It should be noted that Apple does not allow the developer to drop support for specific devices. Instead, developers will have to drop support for iOS versions. Updates for apps that currently support the discontinued devices would need to be created in earlier versions of GameMaker: Studio in order to maintain support for them, potentially limiting the developer from the full potential of GameMaker: Studio in the coming months.
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios
- GameMakerBlog in Top Ten of Top Gaming Blogs to Follow in 2018
- GameMaker Studio 2 Winter Sale brings warm savings to developers
- [Giveaway] Deios 2 Steam Key Holiday Giveaway
- GameMakerBlog Levels up with new IndieDevHelp initiative