People posting their website in the Web Site Announcements forum at the GMC are often met with a barrage of complaints about their choice of web-host, particularly if they have opted to use FreeWebs.
Let’s take a look to see this in action at the GMC: Sheepdawg Games – the first response simply reads ‘>.< freewebs’, Stubbja Productions – again the first reply tells the user not to use freewebs. Undead Gaming hold the record for managing not to have their choice of host mentioned until, wait for it, the third reply. Until that is someone with a username of at least 25 characters who obviously thinks that they look like a monkey replies with the highly intellectual phrase seen below:
monkey member can’t spell. And so full of reason, I like the way he justifies his attack on freewebs with a double b by doing nothing.
An article posted on the GMC last year attempted to explain What is wrong with FreeWebs, it summarises by giving 5 main points:
- FreeWebs contains ads, and other addons which most people never need.
- FreeWebs is a premade web builder, and it proves to be better to make a site by yourself.
- They have guesbooks, bad hit counters, and background music, which can distract people in some cases if your going to make a game site.
- The templates on FreeWebs rarely correspond to what content you use on your site.
- FreeWebs is becoming a mock-up copy of MySpace.
I don’t think that offering a wide range of addons is a bad point, nor is the fact that FreeWebs have their own WYSIWYG editor. Although it’s true, everyone does seem to use the same darn layout , ,  but you can’t blame FreeWebs for the lack of creativity that some people who use their services posses.
P.S My first gamemaker website was hosted by Freewebs, in fact it is still online but is not maintained and so is several years out of date.
- GameMaker Studio 2 Winter Sale brings warm savings to developers
- [Giveaway] Deios 2 Steam Key Holiday Giveaway
- GameMakerBlog Levels up with new IndieDevHelp initiative
- [Indie Interview] uZombie made in GameMaker!
- [Giveaway] LetThemCome rewards GameMaker Community with chances to win free steam keys