GameMaker on Linux?

on February 20, 2008 - 5063 Views

Writing on PascalGameDevelopment.com, savage, working for SumoDigital (the company working on porting GameMaker) has written

The games are not the things are being ported, but the IDE and engine are. The IDE creates the game files these are then fed into the engine. The same game files works on both Win32 and Mac OS X ( native Carbon apps ), and last weekend I got the engine and IDE working on Linux, all from the same code-base with 1 or 2 IFDEFs.

15 Responses to GameMaker on Linux?

1. Stratok says:

In wine it works very buggy, for the games, there are resolution problems, and some things don’t work… the editor works mostly just fine. virtual box is not a real alternative, since video capabilities inside the virtual machine suck…

2. Tim says:

I can’t seem to install Wine from the repository. How do you install it?

About GM for Linux, well, that would be extremely amazing. I know a fair bit of GML so I would love to see it on SuSe (that’s the distro I use).
    As said before, instant buy.

3. Hey you can use wine for running game-maker on linux, or you can use virtualbox.

4. Stratok says:

also Ill buy when it works on linux

5. Stratok says:

I also love GM… very very easy to use… I usuallyt make 2d games that are actualy drawed in a 3d view, but now im in linux so i learned java for netbeans but still dont find anything to develop my games… hope GM works well on linux someday

6. Peter Nielsen says:

hi,
    I bought the original, and have it somewhere on a cd, but i only uses linux now…..soooo

Gamemaker is the best way / only way to make an idear for a game, a reality fast !!! i tried blitz, and dark basic, but never made it as far as in GM, also to scipt language is really good!!

Mail me when its on linux and its an instant buy !!

7. rummik says:

It seems they’d stand to gain more by doing a Linux port before the Mac port, as I’ve only seen one or two Mac users who would even think about getting it. However, I personally know more than ten Linux users who would jump at the chance to have a native Linux version of GameMaker. Myself included.

8. Grundoko says:

Yes, i agree with phil, I would much rather a linux port, i use mainly linux (ubuntu distro) and if not for gamemaker i would rarely ever use my windows partition

9. LostOverThere says:

I’m with Phil Gamble on this. But then again, im sort of biased. Being a Linux user and all 😛

10. Phil Gamble says:

I’m suprised there has been no official announcement. To me Linux compatability is more important than OSX.

11. xot says:

Seems only natural, given the nature of porting something to OSX/Darwin. Frankly, I’m surprised this hasn’t been talked about officially yet, I think we all saw it coming. Interesting to learn that they are going with SDL. That should make the GM player highly portable.

12. gmjab says:

Thats interesting news… guess we may be hearing of some Linux port soon…

13. gamez93 says:

@Eyas – gmking.org has been suspended

14. Eyas Sharaiha says:

The quote obviously seems like he’s referring to GM.. but I still like to double check: was GM specifically mentioned as the IDE in question? I’m 99% sure it is, just curious.