Stencyl compares itself to GameMaker

on December 12, 2008 - 2013 Views

One of the founders of the currently under development game creation kit Stencyl has commented on the responses given by YoYo Games CEO Sandy Duncan in his recent interview with the GameMaker Tech magazine.

On his blog Jon from Stencyl highlights the vast differences between the commercial YoYo Games and their self-funded ‘hobby’.

“…while competition is an inevitable part of any business, let’s remind ourselves that we’re not out to “beat” Game Maker. We’re here to execute on our vision and make the best product for our target audience. That’s how a successful product is made, and if we’re to be competitive, it’s by doing that. It’s not done by staring at the competition, copying features or engaging in a war of words. I surely hope that this is the last time I have to do that!”

– Jon from Stencyl

As well as GameMaker Blog I also run a site about the Stencyl project.

6 Responses to Stencyl compares itself to GameMaker

1. Joe da playa says:

I highly doubt making professional games would be as easy with Stencyl as they describe it on their website. There’s just no way to make professional games without knowing anything about coding!

Wow Filkata you are so wrong. It will still require work but Stencyl will make this possible way easier then your GM junk.

2. Elmernite says:

Meh, I’m sick of Stencyl. I had high hopes for it… about a year ago.
    I also agree with Gamez93, I don’t think Sandy was referring to Stencyl. I doubt he would refer to a program that isn’t out yet. Not even a public beta, and Enigma is that far.
    -Elmernite

3. FiLkAtA says:

4. F1ak3r says:

I wish Stencyl’d finish something before comparing themselves to GM. Or doing anything else.

5. gamez93 says:

Personally I don’t think Sandy was directing it at Stencyl, I think it was more at Enimga which is closely linked with GM and many of its users.

6. Sean says:

Competition is good. What’s YoYo going to create in response to “Stencyl”?