One of the most popular file hosting services used by Game Maker Community members has today gone offline. WillHostForFood had been online for 2 and a half years and hosted over 200GB of content belonging to over 5,000 members.
To get an idea of the popularity of the site Google returns “about 79,000” results to a query for pages on the gmc.yoyogames.com domain containing the phrase “willhostforfood”.
The reason for the closure is the expense of hosting member files which consume 1.5Tb of data a month incurring costs of “$150” a month. By comparison the latest figures we have for YoYoGames.com are “upwards of 10TB a month“. The site was put up for sale a week ago with an asking price of $1000 but no buyers came forward.
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios