Three Game Maker crack related stories in one here.
1. A recent article by the former Game Maker Station PR agency claimed that in the period from 2007 up until a few days ago cracked versions of Game Maker cost YoYo Games $47,390 (US) in lost revenues. They produced a graph showing that since 2007 just 1,891 cracked copies of Game Maker (presumably mostly Game Maker 7) were downloaded.
In the comments that followed the post the author wrote “Sandy says he can’t give out information on the amount of registrations per year. So how do we know he’s being truthful about not making a profit off of game maker?”.
Firstly I believe it will be obvious to the majority of readers that those figures are a blatant massive underestimation of the number of illegal copies of Game Maker Pro. Secondly this number is based on the bizarre assumption that everyone who downloaded a cracked version would otherwise have paid to upgrade. I would like to know how they arrived at $25.06 in lost revenue for every download – given that for most of this period Game Maker was sold for $20 (a figure above $25 would otherwise be more reasonable given the higher USD values of the Eurozone and British pricing). It is pretty obvious that YoYo Games wouldn’t want to throw out commercially sensitive information for the whole world to see and we know Sandy isn’t lying about YoYo’s profitability because we have seen their abbreviated accounts.
2. Earlier today I reported that a member on the YoYoGames forums had been posting information in various topics about how to obtain a Game Maker 8 crack. It appears that the “alert” button that members use to inform moderators about unsuitable posts has not been functioning properly since before Christmas. A 5,000+ post member banned pretty quickly once my message got through via PM. But come on YYG – give these volunteers the tools they need to do their job.
3. Sandy has been spending an enjoyable evening contacting the hosts of various Game Maker cracks to get them removed. “Complain to YouTube about copyright infringement? Nelson Mandela got better treatment on Robben Island!” was just one of his tweets on this process tonight.
Images credit: Crack downloads graph: Ron Johnson (Game Maker Gazette)
- Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! firms up release date to September 13th
- [Tutorial] HTML5 games and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Pre-Order Free DLC brings Winter to the Old World
- Feedspot puts GameMaker Blog in top 50 Game Development Blogs
- Albion Online: Calls out DDOS Criminals during Server Restart