“Noted independent developer Cactus [Jonatan SÃ¶derstrÃ¶m] received the inaugural Nuovo Award for his abstract visual puzzle game, Tuning. The Nuovo Award honors “abstract, shortform, and unconventional game development which advances the medium and the way we think about games.”
The Nuovo Award was judged by a separate, smaller juried panel of notable game and art world figures, including previous IGF Innovation/Nuovo Award winner Jason Rohrer (Passage), Area/Code’s Frank Lantz, N+ co-creator Mare Sheppard, EA division head and art-game creator Rod Humble, and more.”
“I’m not gonna take up time with ranting,” Cactus said. “I’m just gonna start the party tonight.” Soderstrom played a somewhat surreal music video, and left the stage without another word.
Once a healthy section of the audience started clapping to the beat, session organizer Phil Fish stepped up to the mic and said, “Hey, to everyone sleeping out there — dance party.”
Nobody started dancing, sadly.
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios