YoYo Games have done another interview with GMIndie. If you want your voice to be heard on the future of Game Maker it seems to be the place to be. To be fair Landon Podbielski did a good job asking questions of Mike Dailly and Russell Kay.
The podcast provide the following progress update on Game Maker games running on PSP and on the future development of the Game Maker software.
Direct MP3 link
Game Maker games on PSP:
Lots of work has been done on the runner streamlining its processes. This has resulted in a dramatic reduction in the loading for PSP games. An example is given of Skydiver which initially took 40 seconds to load on the PSP and is now down to just 6 seconds.
Game Maker 8 features are currently being added to the PSP runner however no networking features are currently allowed.
Proposed or planned Game Maker changes.
- Runner: Improve performance of games running on PC using what has been learnt whilst working on PSP. GML can be compiled to virtual machine code which is then interpreted.
- IDE: Russell said that a docking interface (Visual Studio) is better than the current interface based on MDI. There was also a desire to enable easier switching between editing various elements. But would need to discuss any changes with the community. Wouldn’t want to take away accessibility for new users. Problem finding suitable Delphi coders to work on this.
- Documentation: A re-written and extended help file and video tutorials.
- Resource editors: Modular structure including a “way of making music” which is “quite exciting”. An understanding that people will use external tools for creation of graphics so YoYo Games shouldn’t try and make a fully-featured editor in the IDE. Improving sprite animation tools.
- Cross platform: Want Game Maker features to be supported across all platforms. Instant Play to work across PC and Mac. Will be able to export games in Mac and PC format. Suggestion of an emulator for games designed for hand-held devices so they can be easily tested.
- Room editor: Usability needs to be improved. Object selection for replacing. Zoom in and zoom out. Multiple layers in room editor.
- 3D: Importation of models. Making Isometric 3D easier. Will take time. Long term plan to completely revise 3D maths and library with objects for cameras and actions for rotations etc.
- GML changes: New data types such as integers and single-precision numbers rather than just ‘numbers’.
- Particles: Rewritten particle system with a preview of generated particles.
- Debug: Script level debugging including the ability to step through code.
- General development: Large proportions of work will continue to be outsourced. Cross platform online highscores. Not like we’ve ever heard this before… (first suggested by Mark in October 2007).
- [GameMaker Tutorial] How to setup a simple slot machine reward system
- [GameMaker Tutorial] Drawing custom health bars with sprite parts
- GameMaker Studio 2 Annouces official Mac version in newly released 2.1 milestone
- GameMaker Studio 2 adding C# region type syntax code folding soon
- Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! firms up release date to September 13th