A “very limited” beta of Game Maker 8.1 has begun. The beta features a new non-Softwrap registration system alongside a variety of IDE upgrades and bug fixes.
Bugs reported so far have been fixed by Mike at a good pace. Hopefully the “report a bug” toolbar option will remain present after the initial public release so that any issues which remain can be rectified using the new built-in updater.
With a brief glance the room editor looks identical to that present in Game Maker 8, however there are a number of changes. A zoom has been added which can be controlled by buttons above the top of the room or the mouse scroll wheel. Pressing and holding the middle mouse button enables you to pan around the room. These changes have also been added to the image and path editors.
So far the switch to [Ctrl]+[Right] to delete an object from a room (previously just [Right]) has caught me out a few times. The removal of the “import code snippets” option in the script editor has enabled [F2] to replace the old [Ctrl]+[R] to rename resources – something which always annoyed me.
There is no word yet on if or when the beta will be expanded.
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios