Game Maker 8.1 Official Feature List
March 21, 2011
YoYo Games has announced that Game Maker 8.1 is now “almost ready” for release.
Alongside previously known improvements such as an overhauled room editor, enhanced script editor, built in updater and executable file encryption, details have been posted of a number of other changes that will be made to the software.
The Softwrap DRM system which limits installs to 5 per license is to go. Some users have reported problems with this but it seems that issues are far less common than they were with Game Maker 7. When work on Game Maker 8 was nearing completion the community were asked whether they would prefer a pre-Christmas release utilising Softwrap or would prefer to wait for an alternative system to be implemented by YoYo Games. The pre-Christmas release was chosen. Details of any in-house Softwrap alternative and the restrictions it may enforce have not yet been published.
We are promised a new and improved news system which will “bring together news and tech tips from across the community” and to aid with development for mobile devices some extensions such as os_type and os_device.
Game Maker 8.1 Features:
- Bug fixes
- No more Softwrap!
- Changed room editor RIGHT mouse click priorities. Menu for normal, CTRL+RMB for delete
- You can now RIGHT CLICK an object and EDIT it from within the Room Editor
- You can now use the mouse wheel to ZOOM in/out in the Room editor.
- Middle mouse button PANS around the room
- A customisable background grid has been applied to the room editor.
- The Image Editor has been updated to use the mouse wheel and middle button for better zooming and panning.
- You can now PAN around inside the PATH editor using the middle mouse button.
- You can now change the default background colour for rooms (when no ROOM background has been set)
- You can now disable background room filling, so you can see the background GRID when no ROOM colour has been set
- A new and improved NEWs system, bringing together news and tech tips from across the community.
- New, more secure .EXE encryption.
- New GML commands such as draw_self() and d3d_light_define_ambient.
- Some custom YoYo extensions brought into the fold, such as os_type and os_device to aid multiplatform coding.
- Better 2D and 3D support with a 24bit ZBuffer and faster rendering.
- Improved code editor features include;
- Faster rendering
- Block TAB’ing
- Better accented character support
- Easier to use Code Completion support
- Customisable background colours.
In terms of feature improvements the changes between Game Maker 8 and 8.1 appear to be on a similar scale to those between Game Maker 7 and 8. Mike Dailly has stated that this list does not include all the changes either.