Whilst testing the software I had entirely overlooked the removal of this feature until this morning when registered upgrade keys were cancelled for a test. This had the effect of converting Game Maker 8.1 Standard installations to Game Maker 8.1 Lite until the key was re-entered.
If you are thinking it might be possible to circumvent this additional restriction by locating the .exe in your temporary files whilst testing the game – you can’t. This file will not run.
The Lite version of Game Maker 7 for Mac has always been unable to export games in a format playable without having Game Maker installed.
The “Publish your Game” menu option is also not currently enabled in the Lite version of the current beta however this will return before the public release enabling Game Maker 8.1 files to be uploaded to YoYoGames.com.
Update 16:13 BST: Mike Dailly on twitter: “After a little discussion… looks like we’ll try that [enabling creation of .exes but limiting them to a short period of play] Perhaps 10min before timing out…. That long enough? We’ll try that then and see how it goes. I’m very aware that being a world wide produce means we sell in less well off areas. Actually as a rule… we’re happy to listen to reasonable discussion and argument. If you can persuade us; we’re happy to change!”
- GameMaker Studio 2 adding C# region type syntax code folding soon
- Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! firms up release date to September 13th
- [Tutorial] HTML5 games and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Pre-Order Free DLC brings Winter to the Old World
- Feedspot puts GameMaker Blog in top 50 Game Development Blogs