The recently relaunched YoYo Games website gives more attention to the GameMaker product and less to GameMaker creations. The effect of the new site on games uploaded by GameMaker users can now be seen.
Since switching to the new site on 4th July YoYo Games has experienced:
- 54% decrease in the number of games uploaded per day
- 38% decrease in the number of game plays per day
The old site still exists on the sandbox.yoyogames.com prefix and links made to old games pages redirect to the new location, however visiting the main homepage no longer provides quick access to games.
Prior to hiding user-created games away behind a single drop down menu item the “games created” figure on the YoYo Games homepage increased by an average of 76 games a day in 2011, whilst the “games played” count grew by 11,160 in an average 24-hour period.
Since the change both these figures have decreased. In the week since 5th July “games created” has risen by just 34 a day whilst “games played” rose by 6,095. Comparing these new figures with the period immediately before the site relaunch gives the percentages at the top of this article.
All figures were obtained from the “YoYo Community” section present on sandbox.yoyogames.com (previously yoyogames.com).
- [Tutorial] HTML5 games and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Pre-Order Free DLC brings Winter to the Old World
- Feedspot puts GameMaker Blog in top 50 Game Development Blogs
- Albion Online: Calls out DDOS Criminals during Server Restart
- HumbleBundle for GameMaker: Studio 1.4