Mike Dailly has taken a look at the Game Maker suggestions list compiled by BBGaming and Rusky and has written a commentary about some of the ideas on his personal blog. Both IDE usability and functionality/performance issues are included in the suggestions.
There are way too many points to address here and the long list will take some time to digest. Hopefully I have picked out some of the more interesting ones and those which we will see sooner rather than later to summarise below:
- Runner format will be changed “making it harder to decompile” before Game Maker 9
- Eventually bytecode generation at build time
- Tabbed editor interface
- Ability to bypass D&D actions in object editor and instead use GML directly
- D&D -> GML conversion is hinted at
- Major room editor overhaul (zoom, group selection, ability to set some instance data from this view, layers)
- Default script argument values
- Split GMK files (useful for team project version control)
- Total rewrite of networking
- Native OS dialog boxes
On many points Mike reiterates that a final decision has not yet been made and that discussion both at YoYo and with the development community will be needed before making major changes.