Game Maker 8.1: What’s Coming
March 17, 2011
A collection of comments about Game Maker 8.1 development crudely stolen from YoYo Games employees tweets.
A combination of bug fixes, usability enhancements and new features will be present in Game Maker 8.1:
- There’s currently around 28 new features/changes!!! Not to mention a good few bug fixes! I wonder how many going from GM 7 to GM8 had. The best thing is that they are almost all very visible changes, not “under the hood” ones. Should make it feel like a much bigger upgrade. [MD, MD]
- Just finished doing a new EXE encryption. Nothing amazing, but should block things for a little while. could even change it with each release. [MD]
- Marking a block in the code editor, and then “tabbing” it now tabs in a BLOCK of text, while SHIFT-TAB un-indents it! [MD]
- You can now “cancel” the code completion box by pressing escape. Also new code editor tool bar icon that allows you to switch it off and on at will! [MD, MD]
- Can’t do ++ and –. The parser just isn’t written that way, so it would me a fairly major rewrite [MD]
- Code editor drawing sped up. Not sure how much others will notice, but every little bit as they say! [MD,MD]
- Currently adding “tiny” features… draw_self() has been added.looking to see if instance_destroy(instance) is easy to add as well…. [MD]
- Faster 3D – who woulda thunk it? [AM]
19 Replies to “Game Maker 8.1: What’s Coming”
I’m gonna wait this so hard! Sounds awesome!
I’d still like to see it gone…then again, I miss the days where you could carry around a serial number for a program.
What’s wrong with Softwrap? I haven’t had any problems with it whatsoever on Game Maker 8.
Some people installing their windows every week, because they have viruses or sth. So they cannot install GM more after several weeks with Softwrap because key is no more usable than 5 times if I remember correctly 😉
I bought key for some people from GMCLAN since they are too young have bank account, and some of them after week asked me, why serial is no more working – so in one week, they installed GM five times! That’s how kids are using PC 😀
“I bought key for some people from GMCLAN since they are too young have bank account, and some of them after week asked me, why serial is no more working — so in one week, they installed GM five times! That’s how kids are using PC” — gnysek
So you bought a key for a bunch of people and you complain that after 5 installs it won’t work anymore.
You’re the problem, not softwrap. You’re the reason the rest of us need to put up with DRM.
Anybody who re-installs Windows weekly is an idiot.
What about removing that awful Softwrap?
Yay, normal block tabbing!
Do we have a rough Estimated Release date anywhere?
looks like RIGHT-CLICK and CTRL-RIGHT-CLICK over an object have been swapped in 8.0 and 8.1. I like the EDIT object functionality as well.
Both features very welcome.
? draw_self() is mentioned in this post.
Just a few minutes after this blogpost 😛
draw_self() was also mentioned on twitter by Mike Daily, along with the possibility of instance_destroy(instance) and the ability to change the background color of the code editor.
Which instance would instance_destroy(object) destroy? All of them?
I’m not sure I like that. It adds nothing but a few saved keypresses, and messes up the structure of the language. What other function effects all instances like that?
Think so.. Just like with(object) .
instance_activate_object and instance_deactivate_object affect all instances as well. I’m not sure if there are any others, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are. I don’;t particularly want instance_destroy, but it wouldn’t bug me if it was there, and I might use it.
Nice! Really looking forward to this!
Since Mike is asking for new features to do in 10 minutes, it looks that he’s finishing 8.1. Maybe on 1st April (funny date)?
There is also many changes mentioned on YYG forum inside two last topics with bugs & small features. Like draw_self();