The GMC’s grasp of economics is, like their common sense and logical thinking, so often lacking.
The question of whether registered users of Game Maker will get a free upgrade to Game Maker 8 once again reared its head at the GMC and unlike previous postings the topic has remained open. Mark Overmars previously enabled holders of a Game Maker 5 key a free upgrade to Game Maker 6 and then YoYo Games enabled these users to convert to GM7 free of charge. Most posters however realised that it makes sense for YoYo to charge for GM8 as there has to be a limit to the free upgrades and as YoYo Games have not received any revenue from people who upgraded version 5 or 6.
Several users mentioned that YoYoGames.com is a high trafficked website (currently ranked 12,530th most popular in the world at Alexa.com) and hence decided that therefore YYG must be making a profit from the advertising placed on the site. This is naive. It has been widely reported that YouTube, ranked third in Alexa, does not make a profit. YouTube has Google, a multi-billion dollar corporation, to support it. YoYo Games does not.
1) YYG can once again allow GM users to upgrade for free. This is becoming almost highway robbery. Imagine if Microsoft allowed you to upgrade Windows for free as long as you originally had Windows 98.
2) YYG can charge for the update. They will make a lot of money and many of us will be happy to pay for it. Something along the lines of $20 is a negligible amount, and the proceeds would help make GM better.
before Yourself added:
You forgot the part where a handful of really loud people go totally ape**** because they falsely believed that they’re entitled to an eternity of new features and support because they paid $20 once.
and then true to form one of them came along shortly.
It is quite an interesting decision that must be made by YoYo and I believe they will and should choose to charge for Game Maker 8.
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios