The Official Game Maker Community went offline for a couple of hours earlier today and users are still reporting that they are experiencing problems.
An explanation provided by Sandy suggests that maintenance of the site had been neglected, “there was a LOT of old backup and other non essential stuff clogging the hard drive.”
This is not the first time problems at the GMC have occurred because time has not been spent on the site. In March 2008 when YoYo Games introduced their green colour-scheme to the forum they also updated the forum software which had not been kept up-to-date for two and a half years.
Just over a year ago malicious software was injected into the forum after YoYo Games failed to install a critical security patch.
Even now the forum is running Invision Power Board version 2.3.6 which is a year old. The most recent release (3.0.3) was made about a month ago.
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios