Softwrap now, or no Softwrap later?

on December 15, 2009 - 6387 Views

The question remains: Would you like GM8 now with Softwrap, or wait 3-4 months for GM8 with no Softwrap? The official poll has been posted on the GMC which allow users to have their say in the matter. As Sandy mentioned on the official glog, it will take the approximately 3 to 4 months for YoYo Games to implement their own registration system. If the Game Maker Community is in favor of keeping Softwrap, Game Maker 8 should be available before 2010. Otherwise, GM 8 will not become available until March 2010 or later.

The situation is pretty simple. Game Maker 8 is pretty much finished. Mark has taken a few days vacation to do a few small fixes and we’ll be happy that we can release the product. BUT we can only do this quickly if we use Softwrap again.

Again, voting can be done at the Game Maker Community.

14 Responses to Softwrap now, or no Softwrap later?

1. petersvp says:

Softwrap is better. But is still vulnerable. There is NOT 100% protection!!

2. GuyWhoHateDRM says:

My other idea:

The downloadable version comes with DRM. Everybody who buy GM will get a private copy with a private registration key, without DRM, and activation.

So if somebody bought GM and decided to pirate it by uplading it, the thief can be easily identified by the private install package he/she got after purchase.

3. GuyWhoHateDRM says:

I will pay more for GM8 than than the official price if they release it later without DRM!

DRM caused me several problems on my machine earlier. (FarCry2) No, I really bought it!

4. […] YoYo Games website has also recently been updated to fully incorporate the new program logo.  The poll asking GMC members whether they would prefer a pre-2010 Softwrap release or a March 2010 release […]

5. AZB says:

I’m fine with Softwrap, despite their problems, they have extremely good customer service. I have been waiting for this new version of Gamemaker for quite a while. Please don’t make we wait longer! Thank you!

My vote is release now with Softwrap.
    Softwrap is awesome!

The wait for a reply from Softwrap is much shorter than is the wait to make a entirely new system. Plus I would be nervous about the reliability of the new system, not that I doubt Mark could do it, it’s just that Softwrap has fast response time- yoyo doesn’t.

6. Broxter says:

Timoi: YYG have promised so many things (online highscores, revenue for developers, more competitions, etc) but rarely deliver. I doubt they’d be able to create a stable fully-featured DRM system.

My thoughts, too.

7. Timoi says:

I voted yes to having Softwrap now because I don’t think YYG will be able to provide a system that is any better than Softwrap.

Also, I’ve never had a single problem with Softwrap.

8. Blijbol says:

As Diego Cavazos pointed out: the title of this blog post is a false dilemma.

Softwrap now and no Softwrap later.

9. Diego Cavazos says:

What about releasing GM8 with softwrap by now, and when their reg. system becomes ready, they re-release it whit it. I don’t want to wait people. The unique excuse is that they had to pay for a new product to softwrap or for more time, but come on, time is money. Kids are gonna ask to their parents for game maker as a Christmas gift (pretty expensive though daa).

10. queviltai says:

57% of people voting for Softwrap? Come on guys, have some patience.

11. Mcoot says:

Personally, I’d vote yes for Softwrap. I’ve had a problem with it once, but I emailed Softwrap and it came back very quickly. And if they’re using a new version, reliability may be improved. Plus, 4 months is a while to wait for a program that’s basically finished.

12. Joeri says:

Hmm, for some reason I thought that YoYo took over all development of Game Maker, but apparently Mark is still the main developer. I really think they could use some more employees, especially for a community this size.

13. SunnyKatt says:

Tough decision, but I’m fine with waiting a few months for no softwrap.

14. Caniac says:

No matter what, theres no way they are gonna release any time soon, which is why I vote no softwrap later. Then again, I never had problems with softwrap, so I don’t really care.

…Then Again, why give them more excuses? Lets say softwrap now, then nail them when it comes out 2 years later.