It appears this is the first post on GameMaker Blog or gmnews about this site which actually astonishes me.
GMArcade is a new website that enables you to play a selection of Game Maker creations from your browser, in a similar fashion to YoYo Games’ “Instant Play” feature through the use of a Java Applet.
The website is run by Matthew Kremer a ‘President & CEO’ of a gaming computer company who apparently can not afford to stick up a $50 contest prize. Why does this immediately bring to mind my experiences with the mighty GameMakerSchool  ? I love the way that whilst he describes the Java applet powering the site as “a real cash cow” when trying to flog the technology he also admits that he is struggling to get .5 cents a click from Adsense.
The traffic stats provided are good for a site the age of GM Arcade – in fact they are not that far off what GameMakerBlog has achieved in the same period. However there is an obvious over-count in the number of pageviews because of the way the GM Arcade site has been designed – which makes bad use of iframes.
In the past I have been in contact with Matthew about the site looking to help improve its design and to make it profitable, however he declined my involvement.
A good idea poorly executed and poorly funded.
- Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! firms up release date to September 13th
- [Tutorial] HTML5 games and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Pre-Order Free DLC brings Winter to the Old World
- Feedspot puts GameMaker Blog in top 50 Game Development Blogs
- Albion Online: Calls out DDOS Criminals during Server Restart