Cactus Interview, Guardian Games Blog, Ubisoft Piracy

on February 1, 2010 - 3537 Views

• The Escapist Magazine recently published an interview with Game Maker user cactus. Jonatan talks about Mondo Agency, IGF finalist Tuning and the psychedelic theme of his games.
  • Keith Stuart made a post today in today’s Guardian Games Blog title “How to become an indie developer in eight steps. Developer Rob Fearon recommends Game Maker:

Personally, I prefer Game Maker which is a whopping $25. Shoddy DRM and lack of regular updates aside, it’s an immense package.”
    -Rob Fearon, Guardian Games Blog

A number of the developers mentioned in the article may be familiar to you.

• Ubisoft recently revealed how they plan to combat piracy of their titles in the future – by requiring users to create an online account which they can then use to download purchased games on any computer. Something similar for Game Maker someday?

13 Responses to Cactus Interview, Guardian Games Blog, Ubisoft Piracy

1. Cafe says:

I think start orgaising Paypal 2 months in advance is enough.

2. GMArcade says:

@James Rhodes
    Every thing has already been organized. Thank you though.

3. bingo says:

I am game lover now but read the article I know th ubisoft is really good & now I am using game maker. So I wanna download the after creating account if its really good then I will inform to my other friend about this. Thank you for sharing this good article.

4. Ernesto says:

Er… You *may* want to look at the Ubisoft forums before you talk about how good this could be. A lot of people are pretty angry about this new idea of DRM.

I personally wouldn’t mind that much, but a lot of their points are valid. Just sayin’.

5. James Rhodes says:

@GMArcade

If I were you, I’d start organising PayPal 3-4 months in advance. Just a tip.

6. So yeah, I’m happy with that Guardian blog post, uh…

7. GMArcade says:

I don’t care if you beat me to it, I merely stated that iPlayIndie is going to use something like that 🙂

8. Joeri says:

@T-Dub
    Steam still has an offline mode. I’m not happy with Ubisoft’s proposed DRM, it just gets in the way, and STILL doesn’t fix the problem that pirated copies will be superior copies. At least Steam provides a complete service (thus making the games bought on there the superior copies).

9. T-Dub says:

Sounds like what steam does

10. Really enjoyed reading these links, Phil. Nice finds. 🙂

11. GMArcade says:

iPlayIndie is going to use a similar system to Ubisoft 🙂

12. James Rhodes says:

@GMArcade

Beat you to it 😛

RoketGames already uses this method of selling games. Once purchased, you can download them and play them anywhere.

13. Joshua Brookover says:

I think what Ubisoft is doing is the way of the future. Someday, there will be internet everywhere, and there will be no excuse for needing an offline mode for anything. That’s just my guess, though.