GMIndie have released their second Game Maker podcast – a 50 minute interview with YoYo Games CEO Sandy Duncan. In the discussion, primarily between Brian Fetcher and Duncan, the future development of Game Maker, YoYoGames.com and the YoYo Games company are covered.
Development of Game Maker
- All effort currently going into PSP version.
- Users would need a Sony Dev kit (incredibly expensive) to test PSP games.
- No timetable for what they plan to do with Game Maker after the release of the PSP version however the emphasis is on new run time environments rather than features.
- 3D look and feel will be built into the PSP version
- Likely to see better 3D support in next 12 months – the features that people are using from external extensions will be built into the normal Game Maker distribution.
- Don’t want to over-complicate the product – basics will remain the same – fundamentally a 2D product.
- Currently 3,500 – 4,000 downloads of Game Maker a day. Similar rate to Feb 2008
- No massive advantage of going from a compiler to an interpreter. Huge job. Not on the agenda.
- To make games look better want to provide better resources including Sprites
- First official mentions of the possibilities of getting Game Maker games to run on Android, iPhone and also Windows 7 Mobile.
- PSP, iPhone then a question mark.
- Game Maker 9 will be unified across all platforms. Enable you to create ‘New PSP game’, ‘New iPhone game’ after which an appropriate template will be loaded.
- Lot of confusion by the recent changes in Apple’s developer agreement made in response to EA writing games with Lua. YoYo Games have been unable to get a definitive answer from Apple. Another product has which, like Game Maker, uses an “interpreted layer” have been told they are okay. Until WWDC in June unlikely to get a clear answer from Apple.
- DS too much effort. Underpowered. Dual screens. Not impossible however – more likely to do Android, Windows 7 Mobile version first. Commercial possibilities of selling games on DS are dreadful.
- Goal to publish games. YouTube for games with best developers going on to have games published.
- Next 12 months want to start commercial publishing of content through the website.
- Next few weeks will offer people the opportunity to sell their, high quality, games on the YoYo Games website. Some of the best developers on the site have already been signed up to help launch the store.
- Server/bandwidth costs minimal compared to turnover
- Website development outsourced – ridiculously expensive.
- Previously outsourcing to work on Game Maker … (link)
- 2 people currently working on Game Maker and the website
- Now started to hire own staff, Russell Kay and Mike Dailly
- Going to hire more staff in Dundee
- Looking for an office
- Interviewing for a “community manager” next week
- Never captured in one place all user suggested improvements. Will try to do this – maybe the YYG wiki.
- No more logo/design competitions(!)
- Sandy admits the site needs to do more to let people see the best games – algorithms need tweaking
- Search doesn’t work very well
- Thankfully an admission that the whole homepage needs a redesign
- Single login for entire site, including the GMC
A future episode of the podcast featuring an interview with YoYo Games CTO Russell Kay.
What are you most excited about?
- GameMakerBlog in Top Ten of Top Gaming Blogs to Follow in 2018
- GameMaker Studio 2 Winter Sale brings warm savings to developers
- [Giveaway] Deios 2 Steam Key Holiday Giveaway
- GameMakerBlog Levels up with new IndieDevHelp initiative
- [Indie Interview] uZombie made in GameMaker!