After hints of upcoming official GameMaker competitions and the recent addition of Steam Workshop support, YoYo Games have announced three competitions in collaboration with Valve. The series of competitions, to be held between October and December, will award USD $1000 to the sole winner of each event.
To enter, developers must upload their GameMaker games to Steam Workshop. Entries can be made using any version of GameMaker: Studio and should be tagged with “YoYoCompOct2012.” The October competition has already started, and will run between the 9th-31st October 2012. The competition appears to have no theme, and indeed the rules don’t state that entries even have to be made within the month. This may deter developers that are hoping to find an actual competitive element within the competition.
A rule that stands out is the requirement to be aged 18 or over to be eligible to enter, which may be problematic for the many young developers within the GameMaker community.
Read the complete announcement: http://steamcommunity.com/app/214850/discussions/1/
- [Giveaway] LetThemCome rewards GameMaker Community with chances to win free steam keys
- [Made in GameMaker] LetThemCome launches on Steam and Xbox with guns blazing
- [GameMaker Tutorial] Simple Embedded database using Grid Data Structure
- [GameMaker Tutorial] How to setup a simple slot machine reward system
- [GameMaker Tutorial] Drawing custom health bars with sprite parts