When Robin Monk’s Game Maker news aggregator service, gmplanet, was first released I was skeptical at the effect it would have on content producing Game Maker websites. I also feared that GameMaker.info, a customisable Game Maker startpage which I was a big fan of, would be damaged.
A month after the launch of gmplanet clickthroughs from GameMaker.info had declined at planet still lagged far below gamemaker.info in popularity.
In the past month gmplanet has sent just 10% of the number of visits that gamemaker.info has sent our way, but I love it!
The RSS feed that gmplanet provides makes it easy to check the latest Game Maker related news (and some stuff that isn’t Game Maker related and probably shouldn’t be in there) in one place. I have the RSS feed installed on my iGoogle homepage.
The only criticisms I have is that the RSS is sometimes delayed in updating – meaning that despite a hard refresh [ctrl + f5] the feed still sometimes lags behind gmplanet.org. The only other issue is that sometimes news articles of the same story clog up the feed as seen in this screenshot below (taken a while back).
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios