Today I registered the Stencyl.org domain name.
For those of you who don’t know Stencyl (official site) is an up-and-coming open-source game development and distribution platform – think of it as an open source, and probably better run version of GameMaker. Quite why the creators of open source software neglected to register the .ORG of their project I don’t know, but I had been eying it up for a few days and couldn’t resist any longer.
When Stencyl is released I will probably set up some Stencyl resources on the domain, perhaps similar to GameMakerBlog and GameMakerTV, but obviously focusing on the Stencyl platform. When a version of the game creation software is finally released to the public I expect it will grow at a much quicker rate than GameMaker experienced, and hopefully, if it is any good – it will take some of GameMaker’s users as well.
From what I’ve seen so far, Stencyl appears to be aimed more at the Novice whereas GameMaker has a number of more advanced features to cater for a wider range of experiences, but only time will tell we will have to wait for the first version to be released.
- GameMaker Studio 2 adding C# region type syntax code folding soon
- Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! firms up release date to September 13th
- [Tutorial] HTML5 games and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Pre-Order Free DLC brings Winter to the Old World
- Feedspot puts GameMaker Blog in top 50 Game Development Blogs