Today I registered the Stencyl.org domain name.
For those of you who don’t know Stencyl (official site) is an up-and-coming open-source game development and distribution platform – think of it as an open source, and probably better run version of GameMaker. Quite why the creators of open source software neglected to register the .ORG of their project I don’t know, but I had been eying it up for a few days and couldn’t resist any longer.
When Stencyl is released I will probably set up some Stencyl resources on the domain, perhaps similar to GameMakerBlog and GameMakerTV, but obviously focusing on the Stencyl platform. When a version of the game creation software is finally released to the public I expect it will grow at a much quicker rate than GameMaker experienced, and hopefully, if it is any good – it will take some of GameMaker’s users as well.
From what I’ve seen so far, Stencyl appears to be aimed more at the Novice whereas GameMaker has a number of more advanced features to cater for a wider range of experiences, but only time will tell we will have to wait for the first version to be released.
- GameMakerBlog in Top Ten of Top Gaming Blogs to Follow in 2018
- GameMaker Studio 2 Winter Sale brings warm savings to developers
- [Giveaway] Deios 2 Steam Key Holiday Giveaway
- GameMakerBlog Levels up with new IndieDevHelp initiative
- [Indie Interview] uZombie made in GameMaker!