GameMaker Studio Standard Edition Is Currently Free ($50 Value)

on November 25, 2013 - 233080 Views

Update: GameMaker Studio Standard is now 100% free permanently, click here for more info »

The promotion below has ended

icon gms GameMaker Studio Standard Edition Is Currently Free ($50 Value)GameMaker Studio version 1.2.1214 was just released, and with it comes an offer to upgrade to the Standard edition free of charge. Valued at $50, GameMaker Studio Standard is a significant improvement upon the free version of the software which imposes harsh restrictions on the resources that developers can make use of.

Additionally, developers can use their free Standard edition license to upgrade to the Professional edition for only $50 more. It’s likely that this is a time-limited offer, so if you’re using the free version of GameMaker Studio be sure to act quickly. Instructions for upgrading are listed below.

The option to upgrade to Standard is displayed after starting GameMaker Studio. Make sure you have updated to version 1.2.1214 (or later) of GameMaker Studio. As the update is part of the beta updates channel, choose this option when it is presented. You may need to right click the GameMaker icon in your system tray and select the correct updates channel.

UPDATE: The promotion is now running on the stable updates channel as of version 1.2.1222, so you do not need to change to the beta channel anymore.

You will need to register for a license key to be sent to you via email, and then you can use that key to upgrade your free version of GameMaker Studio to the Standard edition. Some users are reporting that it has taken up to 60 minutes to receive the email which includes the license key due to current high demand.

This offer is not being extended to users who have GameMaker for Steam.

Download GameMaker Studio »

GameMaker community members expressed their delight at the offer. “I’ve been wanting to recommend Studio to friends for a long time, but the resource limits of Studio Free make the program borderline unusable,” said one user.

Subscribe to our newsletter in the sidebar to receive the latest GameMaker news, discounts and giveaways.

111 Responses to GameMaker Studio Standard Edition Is Currently Free ($50 Value)

1. Abigail says:

Oohh, sweet!

2. Enlik Tjioe says:

awesome news for free users like us! :)

3. RadethDart says:

This is perfect for all of my entrants to my competition next month! They will love this!

4. Ru says:

This is good news. Is there any chance of this working in Steam? I will have to check tonight.

5. Mattias says:

Well,
    I guess that if I get the license for the Standalone one I can get it for steam too anyway.

6. Ian Kahler says:

Um, could you maybe post a step by step of how to do this, because my roommate is having no luck getting it to update to Standard edition.

• I tried, but when I went to install GMS into a new directory and launch it as the trial version, it picked up my Master edition license automatically. I don’t have a computer without GMS Master on it so I can’t go through the process myself.

However, it should be as simple as this from what I can tell:

- Download GameMaker Studio from the link above
      - Install it
      - Upon launch, you should be prompted to update GMS
      - It may only update you to the latest stable version
      - To address this, start GMS then right click the icon in the system tray
      - This will let you change to the beta updates channel
      - Choose “check for updates” after changing to that channel
      - You should then be prompted to update to version 1.2.1214
      - After updating, you should be offered the chance to get Standard free on launch
      - You should receive a key

I hope this helps.

7. xot says:

Some more details about this promotion and Steam users:

The promotion will be coming to the stable channel in the future.

The promotion will not be coming to Steam.

The promotion will not include a Steam key.

• Yaru says:

No Steam, that’s an incredibly stupid thing to do.

• Perhaps since Steam users are more likely to just buy the upgrade (as they’re in an ecosystem based around buying content) the conversion rate is too high to justify a promotion like this. Or maybe it’s just too much of a hassle on a technical level.

Either way, Steam users are constantly left out so it’s no surprise to see it happen again.

• Richard says:

Do you realize the potential abuse if they gave Steam keys to everyone who get this for free? People could just get a bunch of Steam keys for free and sell them afterwards.

• John Galt says:

Of course not. Dont you realize that people will bitch about anything even when its given to them for free? Logic and appreciation is non existent these days

8. Robert says:

I cant seem to find the option to change to beta channels update… HELP?

9. Hyeon-Jun says:

When is the end of this event? In korea it started Nov 25 19:00

10. Mitchell says:

Definitely going to get this!!! :D Upgrade from my GM 8.1 and i’ll have Studio in my hands :) Then i just have to save up for the HTML5 Module :D

11. Mitchell says:

Wait, i dont think i fully understand this correctly? Is it an upgrade from GM 8.x to Standard for free? or is it from GM: Studio Free to Standard for free?
    Mitchell recently posted..GameJolt party gameMy Profile

12. Necdilzor says:

Great! Thanks for the heads up ;)

13. Tutansalchicha says:

Is Really :D I have my Serial to Studio Standard version.

1.- Download and install the free version.
    2. – When open GM select BETA CHANNEL

3.- When prompt, update, install and relaunch.

4.- When open again select the option 2, put a valid email and follow instructions.

14. Dummy McStupid says:

I’m that guy. I saw the option to choose stable or beta, chose stable, and then read the very clear instructions on this page. Herp derp!
    Any advice on changing my free stable license to the standard beta license?

15. Amanda says:

I’m running Windows 8.1 (yeah… -.-) and I updated the software to the beta release. Problem is, every time I’d try to run the software after the update, it just says its not responding in my Task Manager. Any ideas what I can do? I’m uninstalling and re-installing for the second time now, and its kinda taking forever.

• Casey says:

I see the same behavior. My machine fell asleep while waiting for the code to show up. It’s acting like it has an open game or “newgame” but I see nothing else…

16. Amanda says:

Guess third time’s the charm, I got it to work! Sorry to bug everyone xD

17. Mattias says:

Acutally using the Free Tizen Module (http://www.yoyogames.com/developers/promotions/tizen-game-drive/apply) it seems that I got a professional edition including export for Windows and Windows 8 (no mac seems). Could be some hint that they are providing professional base just by purchausing a module?

I am going to test this using my GFs PC if she lets me.
    Mattias recently posted..November/Dicember 2013 updatesMy Profile

18. Josh says:

Thanks for the heads up! I have upgraded to free but how do you get professional for $50? When I click upgrade to professional it still says $99.99…

19. Blake says:

How can I download on Mac? Its not running the most current version, and I dont know how to update it.

20. Ian Maxwell says:

I’m confused, because the logo on the download page includes a picture of the Apple logo along with the Windows and Windows 8 logos, but the text says, “Please note that the GameMaker: Studio IDE will only run on Microsoft Windows systems.” What exactly does the logo indicate?

21. Elliot says:

It’s so odd. I put in my email, they say they emailed me the code but it never comes!

22. Martin Ades says:

I’m not getting the mail, could it be because it’s overloaded ?

23. Anthony says:

Just downloaded this, looking forward to building something awesome.

When I downloaded it though, it seems to be a newer version, 1.2.1222.

How am I able to upgrade to standard edition if the version is newer than the version that let’s you upgrade?

Any help would be awesome.

• Sandr says:

You can scroll down in the list of updates, and it will show you older ones as well. When you reach the 1.2.1214, click on it, it’s a link that will launch the update (you will have to click run on the new popup window.

24. Craig says:

I got my license key (took around an hour, but I did get it), and I’m entering it in the application… Nothing is happening. No reaction from the program whatsoever. And I’ve tried several times over the last half hour. It’s not even rejecting the key or anything; it’s literally just doing nothing at all.

25. Sandr says:

How long does it take to receive the email with the license key?
    I entered my email address about 10 minutes ago, and I still got nothing (followed exactly the procedure, and also checked my spam folder).

26. Fuzunga says:

So I’m guessing the Mac version is not free? I’m not seeing any of the things mentioned in this post that would let me get a key.

• xot says:

GM:Studio is for Windows but it can be run on a Mac with Parallels. Game Maker for Mac is a different product that is similar to Game Maker 7.

27. tomy says:

Dumb question: I currently have been using GameMaker 8.1 Lite, will this open my gm81 files? Does this software do the same thing? Or is it a completely different workflow?
    Thanks

• xot says:

It works almost identically to GM8.1 and you can import your .gm81 files. But there are some engine differences and you may need to alter certain projects to get them to run.

28. Hapolo Gtz says:

Hello!
    I just finished the download, I’m sure the .exe file downloaded correctly. However, when I try to run the Installer on my Windows 8.1 PC, it inmediately displays a prompt which reads: “NSIS Error – Error launching installer”… What gives?

29. Ryu says:

I followed all the steps, but it’s not asking for my email. But, it is asking me to update it back into 1.2.12 instead of 1.2.1214.

30. sueprspyrospam says:

I downloaded it, and then it offered an update. every time i try to update, it keeps crashing. so i decided to redownload. however this time, it automatically updates while installig. any way around this?

31. Phillip says:

Downloaded, installed, selected beta channel. It gave me 3 choices: Free, Standard (for free), then something that cost money. Put my e-mail in for Standard, said it sent a license, still haven’t gotten anything.

So, I went back and chose free. It restarted, then said I could upgrade to Standard for free. Clicked it, took me to the same screen to enter in my e-mail for the license, entered a different e-mail, still no key for either e-mail. T_T

32. Anthony Connolly says:

I right click Gamemaker in the tray and select Check for updates and nothing happens. Can anyone help me?

33. Elliott says:

Every time I open it I get the error:
    5piceide.exe error game maker studio 0062Af69

Running windows 7 64 Ultimate

34. Damien says:

I was able to get it to give me the offer on steam, I had to change my beta participation in the properties menu for GM:S, and then it downloaded the update. After that, the ad offers game maker standard came up, but since then it isn’t allowing me to see the ads, and my key hasn’t come through, so I might have just hit the button at just the right time or something.

35. Brandon C says:

can mac users take advantage of this? i cant find game maker: studio for mac at all…

36. Steve says:

Okay, tried to get it set up, but to no avail. Here’s what I did.

*Installed GM Studio and selected the beta updates channel from the prompt; A screen asking for “Primary License” and “Modules” appears, but with no sign of obvious updating or notice of what to put in the license fields. Clicking on “Submit License” and “Use Free Edition” do nothing but bring up error messages that “A connection with the server could not be established. Version listed in error message is stated as v1.2.1135
    *Installed again; No notice of being able to choose update channel. Same error messages.
    *Uninstalled and then did a new fresh install; No notice of being able to choose update channel. Same error messages.

I assume traffic taking the servers down is the main problem here?

37. Marvin Ferrell says:

I get an error message after updating and no option to get the standard license.

38. AD says:

Is there a Mac version of this free offer available?

39. Deadlywere says:

Well this is useful. Done everything that i should have done and am getting no option to upgrade or register.

• Zangaboth says:

Its there your just not searching, once you finished all that update theres the ads page, click on the arrow to the right and the option to upgrade to standard should be there.

40. Tom says:

Anyone know how to install on mac? exes don’t work and can’t find a .dmg :(

• Xtoff2cool says:

There’s a link to download the mac version on the website, but the free version doesnt seems to be for mac users :( i need help too.

41. FrikiNAUER says:

I don’t receive the email ¿what i can do?

42. Robert says:

Where do I click to get the Beta, please someone tell me I am so confused. People say right click on something what should I click on?! please tell me I would be very thank full

43. Aramir says:

Anyone else having his version of GMS registred to “none” using this promotion ?

44. Krasen says:

WORKS!
    Downloaded from link above, then wait for all updates and then update to stable, don’t do anything else. Restart game maker, then it will show you the 3 options and choose the middle for the free standard verison. add email and its done!

• Chez says:

I did the same as you, and i think i have everything set up correctly but how do you check it?
      When i go into help>about it says that the copy registered to none and if i go under update licence it says that the copy is unlicensed. i just want to make sure ive got everything set up correctly.

45. Aaron says:

How do you get the upgrade to pro for $50? I can only seem to get it at $99.

46. Ryan says:

Thank you so much for this!

47. rmckee78 says:

Is this offer still open? If so, does it work for people already using the free version? I updated but don’t see anywhere to select the upgrade.

48. Xtoff2cool says:

Hi, how can i get a licence for mac?