This time last year we asked whether 2009 would see the release of Game Maker 8 and Game Maker for Mac. You thought so with these two predicitions for the year receiving the most votes in our poll (results repeated below).
Which of the following do you think will have occured by the end of 2009?
- GameMaker 8 will be released (57%, 44 Votes)
- Mac version of GameMaker will be released (53%, 41 Votes)
- YoYo Games reaches 50,000 games online (52%, 40 Votes)
- One or more of the well-established GameMaker magazines will stop producing (25%, 19 Votes)
- We see a battle between GMTV and GMVision (22%, 17 Votes)
- Game Maker loses market share (19%, 15 Votes)
Total Voters: 77
Here is a look back at how the predictions fared:
- Game Maker 8 left it late – originally planned for a late summer/early autumn release (for those in the Northern Hemisphere anyway) the final release came just a few days before Christmas.
- Progress on Game Maker for Mac was very slow. The project was officially ‘delayed indefinitely‘ at the start of December but that won’t be the end of Game Maker on Mac.
- Game Maker loses market share – pretty much impossible to measure.
- The 50,000 games hosted at YoYoGames.com figure is harder to judge. A December update to the site saw the figure for games uploaded jump dramatically by around 30,000 to over 70,000. This, I presume, takes account of beta games that were not included in the earlier number. I think we’ll call that a pass even if there aren’t 50,000 officially finished games.
- With MarkUp “on hiatus” for the entire duration of 2009 and GMWeekly replaced by KwikLook which in turn quickly became a blog “one or more of the well-established Game Maker magazines” certainly did stop producing.
- A battle between the Game Maker TV shows GMTV and GMVision never really happened. Both shows released a few episodes which were well received but neither managed to stick to a regular schedule and GMTV recently announced they were cancelling all future shows.
Your 2010 Game Maker predictions will be wanted soon! Suggestions for predictions/poll options are appreciated.