Did you predict 2009?
January 2, 2010
This time last year we asked whether 2009 would see the release of Game Maker 8 and Game Maker for Mac. You thought so with these two predicitions for the year receiving the most votes in our poll (results repeated below).
Here is a look back at how the predictions fared:
- Game Maker 8 left it late – originally planned for a late summer/early autumn release (for those in the Northern Hemisphere anyway) the final release came just a few days before Christmas.
- Progress on Game Maker for Mac was very slow. The project was officially ‘delayed indefinitely‘ at the start of December but that won’t be the end of Game Maker on Mac.
- Game Maker loses market share – pretty much impossible to measure.
- The 50,000 games hosted at YoYoGames.com figure is harder to judge. A December update to the site saw the figure for games uploaded jump dramatically by around 30,000 to over 70,000. This, I presume, takes account of beta games that were not included in the earlier number. I think we’ll call that a pass even if there aren’t 50,000 officially finished games.
- With MarkUp “on hiatus” for the entire duration of 2009 and GMWeekly replaced by KwikLook which in turn quickly became a blog “one or more of the well-established Game Maker magazines” certainly did stop producing.
- A battle between the Game Maker TV shows GMTV and GMVision never really happened. Both shows released a few episodes which were well received but neither managed to stick to a regular schedule and GMTV recently announced they were cancelling all future shows.
Your 2010 Game Maker predictions will be wanted soon! Suggestions for predictions/poll options are appreciated.
Illustration based on “The Wizard” by Flickr.com user seanmcgrath (cc).
9 Replies to “Did you predict 2009?”
[…] also: Â How did our readers’ predictions for 2009 turn out Photo: …to the future by Flickr user monterd. (cc) Leave a comment | Trackback No […]
I’ve just realised that the deadline’s set up perfectly for if they decide to pull an April Fool’s joke. “sorry lol no results were out of money kthxbai”
That’s another prediction, actually – “At least five GM-related websites pull a bizarre, stupid April Fool’s joke which is easily noticeable as a joke since everyone else is pulling them too”.
Nah, Banov and Andrew Brophy will win. 😛
“There’s a service offering customizable game server hosting for Game Maker games through an easy to use extension.”
Newsflash: Mr. Rhodes is working on something like this!
“GMS close forum”
I guess that’s kinda likely. They’ve hardly done much right – the one I laugh at is how ownership of the site was passed on to MelonYoshi without him being asked if he wanted to, or even told about it.
With the theme of the fifth YYG competition in place, I think a fairly clear prediction would be “Game Maker is ported to one or more popular handheld devices”. Another couple I can think of: “At least three new Game Maker magazines release their Issue 1”, “YoYo Games passes 100,000 games uploaded”, and perhaps “Game Maker 4 Mac is brought back and released”.
A Game Maker game will be shown working on a portable gaming device.
YoYo Games are declared bankrupt.
YoYo Games release a function on their site to allow developers to commericalise their games (or something similar).
There’s a service offering customizable game server hosting for Game Maker games through an easy to use extension.
There’s a service offering asynchronous SQL databases for Game Maker games through an easy to use extension.
Hach-Que and Scoz win competition 05.
GMS close forum
GMVenture release Issue 1 (Maybe next year though!)