YoYo Games are currently offering owners of GameMaker 7 and GameMaker 8.0 the chance to upgrade to GameMaker Studio Standard for $9.99 as opposed to the usual set price of $49.99. Notably, GameMaker 8.0 is specifically mentioned so GameMaker 8.1 users may not be eligible for the discounted upgrade.
Mike Dailly, head of development at YoYo Games, suggested the offer was being made to “help those who will be effected by the Softwrap shut down.” The closure of Softwrap in September 2013 may render GameMaker 7 and GameMaker 8.0 unusable as they will no longer have a way to validate user licenses. It is currently not clear what the implications of Softwrap’s closure will be, but Dailly further commented that there will be “lots effected by it.”
GameMaker 8.1 is still available for $39.99 on the YoYo Games website.
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios