The new look YoYo-ized Game Maker Community with ads?
YoYoGames.com has them, The YoYo Games forums have them and it appears obvious that YoYo Games intends to generate the vast majority of its income from advertising in the long run.
I have spoken with a few community members and their responses on the issue of advertising on the GameMaker Community have been varied. Views ranged from “they’d be stupid if they didn’t” through “I really don’t care” to “YoYo needs to stop trying the squeeze the advertising juice out of everything Game Maker” when asked for opinions on the matter of advertising on the GMC.
Certainly the ethos of YYG and the YYG forums is different from the GMC, being aimed at gamers instead of the developers. The recent changes at the GMC have showed the community that YoYo haven’t abandoned them (it just took a year of waiting), so perhaps this means that YoYo will be sensitive to what the community thinks, then again, perhaps not.
I’m not against ads on the GMC. Obviously YoYo need to generate an income from somewhere, but if they are added they should be sensibly placed, well targeted and not flashing click the monkey/shoot the duck banners.
- Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! firms up release date to September 13th
- [Tutorial] HTML5 games and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Pre-Order Free DLC brings Winter to the Old World
- Feedspot puts GameMaker Blog in top 50 Game Development Blogs
- Albion Online: Calls out DDOS Criminals during Server Restart