In the last week I was contacted by Kay Johnson, who oversaw development of the Game Maker Technology magazine from its November 2006 launch to its 17th and last issue in September 2009.
Since that last release Kay completely left “the GameMaker scene”, time which has seen numerous developments and announcements surrounding the future of the GameMaker software.
In order to summarise what he’d missed since then I first had to remind myself of the major developments that had occurred. This post will serve as a recap for Kay and anyone else interested in a summary of key milestones in the GameMaker (or as it was then Game Maker) community over the last couple of years in one place.
- Game Maker 8 Released, the first new version in almost 3 years. Major sprite and script editor updates.
- YoYo Games move to Dundee
- Mike Dailly and Russell Kay join
- GameMaker for Mac released
- SkyDiver Mach II is the first game published by YoYo Games and becomes available in the iTunes store.
- Simply Solitaire HD becomes the first GameMaker game published on Android
- GreenTech+ becomes first GameMaker game playable on PSP and as a PlayStation Mini
- Game Maker becomes GameMaker with the release of GameMaker 8.1
- GameMaker 8.1 introduces a built in product updater, and regular updates are now being delivered.
- GameMaker 8.1 also features new Lite restrictions and a new registration system
- GameMaker Studio is announced which will allow exporting games in iOS, Android and HTML5 formats.
- Price increased to $39.99
- GameMaker HTML5 enters alpha, demo games released.
- YoYo Games now employ 14 fulltime staff
And the magazines we’ve seen launch (and release more than a single issue) since the last GMTech: GMIndie, KwikLook, Overbyte, Nikc-Nack, GMAG, Game Maker’s Digest, This Is Indie, RekameMag, indie(Magazine)
Have I missed anything? If you recall any other significant developments with regards to GameMaker please post them in the comments so I can update the list.
- [Tutorial] HTML5 games and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Pre-Order Free DLC brings Winter to the Old World
- Feedspot puts GameMaker Blog in top 50 Game Development Blogs
- Albion Online: Calls out DDOS Criminals during Server Restart
- HumbleBundle for GameMaker: Studio 1.4