Today YoYo Games, the developers of GameMaker Studio, officially announced their plan to replace the GameMaker Sandbox with a digital store. While the sandbox used to be a popular destination for gamers and developers alike, in recent years it has been neglected by YoYo Games and subsequently become obsolete.
GameMaker Sandbox is being replaced with a new service called GameMaker Player. Read on for more information.
GameMaker Player is an application designed to support the GameMaker ecosystem by allowing developers to share concepts and early access builds of their games. Developers can also distribute their free or paid games on multiple platforms, with YoYo Games taking a 30% cut of any profits.
YoYo Games describe GameMaker Player as “an application and a service” so we may see both a standalone application and a web service, a format popularized by Valve. Considering that it is becoming easier and easier to publish games to Valve’s incredibly popular Steam platform, it may be too late for YoYo Games to create “the YouTube of games” as they aspired to 6 years ago.
YoYo Games CEO Sandy Duncan said, “For as long as YoYo Games has been developing GameMaker, we have focused on providing everyone – from beginner to professional – with a simple and accessible solution that makes it easier for all to make, share and play their games. We are now taking a huge leap forward. With the introduction of GameMaker Player we’ve added [a] brand new service that is extremely easy to use”.
- Set to launch late October 2014 as part of a GameMaker Studio 1.4 beta release
- Only Windows, OS X, and Linux will be initially supported
- All GameMaker Studio users will be able to publish games for the Windows version of GameMaker Player
- Free users can only upload 2 games, Pro users can upload 5, and Master Collection users can upload 10
- To publish paid games a GameMaker Studio Professional license and relevant export modules are required
- YoYo Games will take a 30% cut of all profits
- Use of ads and in-app purchases is not supported
- Free games will have no review process, paid games will
- GameMaker Sandbox will be completely removed shortly after launch
What do you think about GameMaker Player replacing GameMaker Sandbox?
Will developers use it? Will players? Did YoYo Games already miss their opportunity?
Let us know in the comments below.
- [Post of the Month] End of an Era: GameMaker 1.X Sunset coming at end of July 2018
- [Made In GameMaker] PurpleBit Surfing Cow by Heavy Sheep Games
- [Indie Interview] Heavy Sheep Games with Luiz Gustavo
- [Made in GameMaker] GameDevDan vs Life Launches on Steam
- [Made in GameMaker] Bounce Rescue by Bitecore Studios